9.30.2009

starstruck

Sometimes I catch myself staring at my engagement ring- in the grocery store, at church, in class, at a diamondbacks game where the lights are incredibly bright and make my ring SPARKLE... etc. When Stu and I first got engaged, I never stopped looking at it. I admit I was completely dazzled by how sparkly it is. I figured I was allowed this distraction for a few months, but here I am, still completely dazzled. My checkout lady at Safeway was staring at her ring in between customers and I asked her if she had just gotten married and she laughed and said she's been married for 3 years, she just loves looking at her ring. I guess I'm hopeless.

A few months ago, Stu and I were watching a show on discovery channel (?) and there was an old man talking about the composition of precious stones. He said that diamonds come from the explosion and scattering of star particles, where the core of giant stars are hot enough to transform the carbon into the sparkly things we women love. I don't think that's where all diamonds come from, I know they can be formed from carbon with intense heat and pressure on earth, but I choose to believe mine came from a star :) Maybe that's why I am so drawn to it...

Stuart pointed out that it's been a year since he proposed, September 26th, 2008. The day he gave me a star. When I first put saw the ring on my finger, I was a bawl baby. I was so happy! He wanted me. He loved me. With that ring, he promised me forever. And I wore it proudly, as a declaration to the world that I was his. I finally got to give Stuart his ring when we exchanged them in the Mesa Temple a few months later, I was ecstatic finally able see it on his finger.

I love what our rings mean [not just that they sparkle, although it is an added bonus]...
love. happiness. support. faith. forever.


p.s. last night as I was rushing to the checkout at the grocery store, I got cut off by an old man who had at least 30 cans of Fancy Feast and one tube of Preparation H. That's all. Hmm, nothing like a balanced diet..

8 comments:

Brea said...

AMEN GIRL! I completely agree with you about not being able to stop looking at your engagement ring! I am always looking at mine and i have been taking it off when I go to the beach because I don't want to lose it, but I feel so naked without it on. it has become a part of me! :)

nate and amy crandell said...

I love your posts! This just shows how much in LOVE you and Stu are so cute! And I stare at mine too a lot!

Natalie DeVore said...

I went back and read your engagement story! So cute. :-)

Natalie DeVore said...

oh ps, I've been married almost 2.5 years and I still get caught staring at my ring sometimes

Jenny Johnson said...

I think every girl feels the same way. I remember getting my ring for the first time and thinking the exact same things you did. And I love that I get to remember those feelings each time I look at it!!

danielle said...

This was such a sweet post! P.S. Thanks so much for all of your nice comments. They make my day everytime!! :)

Bev said...

You are amazing! Your words are perfect, what a sweet tribute to Stu. He should be proud!

Nielsens said...

haha sam used to always laugh at me for catching me staring down at my ring, it sure makes a girl happy!!

and i love that picture, so adorable!