3.11.2010

newfound respect

I had a really neat experience yesterday at work. Well, I don't know if "neat" is really the right word.

As I sat my first patient of the day, she handed me a form that she needed signed, one that I guess she had to take back to her military base. This may seem weird, but I've never really had much contact with any military personnel. As we talked, she explained that she needed to get her teeth taken care of before she left for her second tour. She was going to Iraq this time. I couldn't imagine she was much older than me, and when I asked, she said she would be celebrating her 22nd birthday next month. Same as me. I started to feel the tears build as she told me she spent her 19th birthday in Afghanistan. She met her husband there, they've been married for just over a year. Same as Stu and I. I just couldn't believe how young she was, and how much she has had to face already in her life. But she had no fear, no hesitation in her voice when she told me, "it's just what I've always planned to do." As she left, I teared up again and asked if I could give her hug, which seems like such a small act now. I just needed some way to show my gratitude. She was gracious and obliged, then left for another day of "work."

To all those who have dedicated their lives in service to this country and the millions of people you don't even know, thank you.


6 comments:

nate and amy crandell said...

that's awesome angela! I know could you imagine doing that-so crazy I'm very thankful for people who are brave enough to serve our country :)

Alyssa and Tyler said...

What a cool experience and crazy about all the similarities. Thanks for sharing!

Grafton and Laurisa Milne said...

WOW. this gave me chills!! It really is amazing what people do for our country without much in return!!

Brea said...

brought tears to my eyes! Wow what a strong woman!

Bev said...

Thanks for reminding me to appreciate the little things in life....that young lady puts her life on the line to protect me and my kids and grand kids and I am thankful!! Good post!

Jamielyn said...

what a great story! There are so many amazing people serving our country, and angela you are one of them! That is a really cool picture too!